[Harp-L] New Blues Junior Reverb upgrade

The other night i was playing with a guitar player who was using a Fender Blues Junior that he had modified by replacing the original reverb tank with a Ruby Tubes Reverb Tank from Mojotone and bagging the tank. Much better reverb than the stock BJ reverb tank.

A lot of harp players like the BJ, although it's generally recognized that the stock reverb on the BJ isn't very good. When i had my BJ, I wanted to upgrade to an Accutronics reverb tank but couldn't because it will not fit into the BJ cabinet. So, I had the reverb circuit modified on mine, and I bagged the stock reverb tank. Much improved reverb, but the hot rodded circuit would hum a little. Sometimes more than a little.

The new 9" Ruby tank will fit in the BJ cabinet, costs less than $25, and is probably a much better solution. Mojotone also sells small reverb tank bags for less than $10. Less than $35 to completely upgrade the reverb without having a tech modify any of the circuitry. Not a bad idea if you've got a stock BJ.

I sold my BJ last year to get a Princeton Reverb Reissue, which has great deep reverb, so this is no longer a concern for me. But I thought it might be of interest to some of you who have a Blues Junior or are thinking about getting one.

JP