[Harp-L] Blues Critic Awards 2008 READERS POLL Winners

Congratulations to Curtis Salgado and Jason Ricci.

____________________________________

_http://bluescritic.http://bluescrithttp://bluhtt_
(http://bluescritic.com/2008bluescriticawards.htm)

Awards  2008

 (http://bluescritic.com/)
 (http://bluescritic.com/CDStore.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/NewCDReviews.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/southernsoulbluescharts.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/bluescriticradio.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/soulbluesartists.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/bluescriticawards.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/interviews.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/annualbestof.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/commentary.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/concertreviews.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/advertise.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/soulblueslinks.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/contactus.htm)

Blues Critic  Awards
2008 READERS  POLL
Contemporary  Blues
Winners!
As voted by Blues Critic  readers

____________________________________

Blues Album Of The  Year
Kenny  Neal "Let Life Flow" (Blind Pig)
Other nominees: Sean Costello "We Can  Get Together" (runner-up), B.B. King
"One Kind Favor", Buddy Guy "Skin  Deep", Dave Specter "Live In Chicago",
Janiva Magness "What Will Love  Do", Walter Trout "The Outsider", Walter Wolfman
Washington "Doin' The  Funky Thing", Willie Big Eyes Smith "Born In Arkansas"
____________________________________

Best Traditional Blues  Album
B.B. King "One Kind Favor"  (Geffen)
Other nominees: Kenny Neal  "Let Life Flow" (runner-up), Watermelon Slim &
The Workers "No Paid  Holidays", Janiva Magness "What Will Love Do", The Mannish
Boys "Lowdown  Feelin'", Willie "Big Eyes" Smith "Born In Arkansas", Sean
Costello "We  Can Get Together", Buddy Guy "Skin Deep", Tom Principato Band
"Raising  The Roof"
____________________________________

Best Soul Blues  Album
Curtis Salgado "Clean  Getaway" (Shanachie)
Other nominees: Johnny  Rawls "Red Cadillac" (runner-up), Irman Thomas
"Simply Grand", Chick  Willis "The Don Of The Blues", Jackie Payne Steve Edmonson
Band  "Overnight Sensation", Walter Wolfman Washington "Doin' The Funky  Thing",
Bobby Wayne "Soul Station"
____________________________________

Best Blues/Rock  Album
Elvin Bishop "The  Blues Rolls On" (Delta Groove Music)
Other nominees: Michael  Burks "Iron Man" (runner-up), Sonny Landreth "From
The Reach", Walter  Trout "The Outsider", Albert Castiglia "These Are The
Days", Gary Moore  "Bad For You Baby", Jeff Healey "Mess Of Blues", Eric Sardinas &
Big  Motor (self titled),
____________________________________

Best Live Or Compilation  Album
Fiona Boyes Mookie Brill & Rich  Del Grosso "Live From Bluesville" (Blues
Empress)
Other Nominees: Various  Artists "M For Mississippi" (Runner-up), Dave
Specter "Live In Chicago",  Big George Brock "Live At Seventy-Five"Other Nominees:
Various  Artists "M For Mississippi" (Runner-up), Dave Specter "Live In
Chicago",
____________________________________

Blues Song Of The  Year
Albert Castiglia "Bad Year Blues"  ()
Other nominees: "Blues Rolls  On" by Elvin Bishop (runner up), "Obama" by
Chick Willis, "Goodbye Mr.  President" by Mem Shannon, "Let Life Flow" by Kenny
Neal, "They Called  For Stormy Monday" by Tom Principato Band, "How I Got To
Memphis" by  Dave Specter with Tad Robinson, "Mississippi Number 1" by Eden
Brent,  "Red Cadillac" by Johnny Rawls
____________________________________

Blues Singer:  MALE

Curtis Salgado
Other nominees: B.B. King  (runner-up), Tad Robinson, Bobby Jones, Jackie
Payne
____________________________________

Blues Singer:  FEMALE

Irma Thomas
Other nominees: Susan  Tedeschi (runner-up), Sharrie Williams, Gaye
Adegbalola, Janiva  Magness
____________________________________

Blues  Guitarist

Michael Burks
Other nominees: Sonny  Landreth (runner-up), Walter Trout, Kid Ramos, Ronnie
Earl
____________________________________

Blues  Harmonica

Jason Ricci
Other nominees: Steve Guyger  (runner-up), Willie "Big Eyes" Smith, Mark
Hummel, Billy  Gibson
____________________________________

Blues  Keyboards

Marcia Ball
Other nominees: Christian  Dozzler (runner-up), David Maxwell, Henry Butler,
Bruce  Katz
____________________________________

Blues Instrumentalist  (Other)

Larry Taylor
Other nominees: Bob Stroger  (runner-up), Dan Treanor, Deanna Bogart, Mookie
Brill, Kaz Kazanoff,  Cedric Burnside, Richard Innes, Otis Taylor
____________________________________

The BLUES CRITIC staff  pick...
Contemporary  Blues ARTIST OF THE YEAR
 Kenny Neal
Always a difficult choice  for the Blues Critic staff, this being the only
category we get to vote  on/pick. Great years for the likes of Curtis Salgado,
Elvin Bishop, B.B.  King and many others but the comeback kid Kenny Neal just
deserves it. It was time. It's not just that  Kenny Neal made a  comeback after
a long (undisclosed) illness sidelined him for nearly two  years (Before that
bout he had already suffered the loss of his older  brother Raful Neal and
then sister Jackie Neal was murdered by a scorned  lover), but that he made a
great record ("Let Life Flow") that contained  a poignant, survivor song (title
track).

Blues Critic  Awards
2008 READERS  POLL
Southern Soul  Blues
Winners!
As voted by Blues Critic  readers

January 2, 2009
Southern Soul Blues Awards. Because we  had such a large number of Southern
Soul Blues albums released this year  our fourth annual Blues  Critic readers
poll had more nominees than usual.  For example the  Best Southern Soul Blues Al
bum category gave you 17 choices! Despite the  sluggish economy and the
increased decline in CD sales 2008 saw just  about every well known Southern Soul
performer saturating the market  this year. Of course that's a good thing for
the industry and the fans.  LOTS of great music in 2008.
BUT...(here I go again)...  Bootlegging (actually "pirating") and file
sharing continues to ruin it  for everybody.  It's understandable to want something
for free but  when it comes to the Southern Soul Blues world it hurts the
artists and  companies more. The bottom line is that a PERSON IS A COMMON THIEF
if they download songs illegally (for free) or even "burn" their friend  a copy
of the CD. They are supporting theft if they buy a bootleg  ("pirate") copy
of the real CD. Too harsh? No, it's common sense.   Would you sneak into the
house of Sir Charles Jones and steal food from  his children? Many good folks
would never dream of  such a thing  even if they could get away with it... but
we have been lulled into  thinking it's okay to steal music. Why? Because it's
easy. It's still  just as wrong. These Southern Soul artists aren't rich, LOL.
Every CD  you buy legitimately helps them! Our online store has many many
dedicated fans of Southern Soul who buy their music and keep this thing  alive.
If you care about the music  please do NOT download MP3's for free (unless
they are "promotional" and  meant to be free. It has become common to release a
single as an MP3  that is meant to be passed around) and please do NOT "burn"
a copy of  any CD for your friends. It's that simple. Hey, encourage that
mooch to  buy his/her own copy! It ain't that expensive. Consider this: Most of us
 waste lots of money on Starbucks, Burger King, going out to dinner or
buying $6 drinks at a club but we bristle to spend $16 on a CD?!? Only  the CD has
any lasting value, after all. You can play it for a lifetime.  We are strange
creatures. Skip the greasy food and that carmel  machalackawuckacachIf you
care about the music  please do NOT download MP3's for free (unless they are
"promotional" and  meant to be free. It has become common to release a single as
an MP3  that is meant to be passed around) and please do NOT "burn" a copy of
any CD for your friends. It's that simple. Hey, encourage that mooch to  buy
his/her own copy! It ain't that expensive. Consider this: Most of us  waste
lots of money on Starbucks, Bu
Thanks to all the Program Directors,  DJs, stores, websites, magazines and
most of all fans for supporting the  music in 2008. We are glad to be a part of
it here at Blues  Critic.
- Blues Critic
____________________________________

Best Southern Soul/R &  B Album
Omar Cunningham "Time  Served" (Soul 1st)
It seemed like in 2008 EVERY well-known  Southern Soul artist (except for,
say Mel Waiters) dropped an album. We  had new CDs by Sir Charles Jones, Marvin
Sease, Willie Clayton, Bobby  Rush, Lee Shot Williams, Stan Mosley, Ms Jody,
Wilson Meadows, OB  Buchana, Sheba Potts-Wright and the list goes on... but
Omar  Cunningham's "Time Served" was a comfortable WINNER with Sease's  "Who's
Got The Power" coming in second.
____________________________________

Southern Soul Blues Song  Of The Year
"I'm Coming Home" by Marvin Sease  (Malaco)
Marvin Sease had serious  competition from runner-up and labelmate Willie
Clayton's "A Woman  Knows", Omar Cunningham's "My Life", Lee "Shot" Williams'
"It's Friday  (Time To Get Paid)", Chick Willis' "Obama", Vick Allen's "When You
Pack  Your Bags", etc...but Sease succeeds.
____________________________________

Best Slow  Jam
"I'm Coming Home" by Marvin  Sease (Malaco)It was really  just a great,
albeit typical Marvin Sease ballad but folks were hungry  for such a thing. It was
voted "Southern Soul Blues Song Of The Year"  and it narrowly edged out
runner-up "A Woman Knows" by Willie Clayton,  as well as other heavy vote getters
for "Best Slow Jam". Other  contenders: "Mr DJ" by Stan Mosley, "Energizer
Bunny" by Ms. Jody,  "Sometimes You Win Some" by David Brinston, "Long Way Home" by
the Soul  Children and "Call Me" by Al Lindsey.
____________________________________

Best Dance Or Funk  Song
 "I Like This Place" by Carl Sims  (Ecko)
It seemed like "Da Twist" by  the Team Airplay All-Stars would be a certain
victor in this category  but it only finished third behind runner-up "Grown &
Sexy (Remx)" by  Da Problem Solvas & Sir Charles Jones and WINNER "I Like This
Place"  by Carl Sims. Other notables included "It's Friday (Time To Get Paid)"
 by Lee 'Shot' Williams, "Look At What You Gettin'" by Bobby Rush, "Booty
Roll" by Steve Perry and "Fire" by Lebrado.
____________________________________

Best Vocal Performance  FEMALE
Nellie 'Tiger' Travis on "I'm A  Woman" (CDS)
Woooweeee. This was a  close one. Mz Travis narrowly pulled out an upset over
runner-up Denise  LaSalle, Ms Jody and Pat Cooley. Othergals with high votes
were Sweet  Angel and Big Cynthia.
____________________________________

Best Vocal Performance  MALE
Omar Cunningham on  "My Life" (Soul 1st)
He's had great moments  before, like "Check To Check" and "I'll Get By" and
he came up with a  brilliant Everyman-can-He's had great moments  before, like
"Check To Check" and "I'll Get By" and he came up with a  brilliant
Everyman-can-<WBR>relate song again with "My Life". You must  be doing something right
to e
____________________________________

Best Performance By A Duo  Or Group

Mr. Sam & Floyd Taylor  for "Voicemail" (Milaja)
You could almost call this a  four-way tie between narrow winner Mr Sam &
Floyd Taylo  ("Voicemail" Floyd Taylo  ("Voicemail"<& Stan Mosley  ("Who Knows
You"), the Rhythm All-Stars ("Stuck") and the Soul Children  ("Long Ride Home")
but somebody had to win. Mr. Sam & Floyd Taylor  won by 11 votes!
____________________________________

Best New  Artist
Will  Easley
The "best new artist"  category again garnered the most votes with loyal
supporters of the  singer helping out. This year it was golden-voiced WINNER Will
Easley  who triumphed over runner-up The Rhythm All-Stars, Prince Kenyatta,
Diedra, Prince Kenyatta, Mose Stovall, David G & others...
____________________________________

Best Record Producer(s) Of  The Year

John Ward
2008 was another great year  for Ecko Records and it's main producer John
Ward. Strong CDs by Donnie  Ray, Ms. Jody, David Brinston, Earl Gaines and O.B.
Buchana convinced  voters it was time to give Ward his propers. The marvelous
Carl Marshall  was runner-up, while William Bell/Reginald "Wizard" Jones, Bigg
Robb,  Floyd Hamberlin Jr, Clarence Dobbins, Mr. Sam & EZ 'Rock' Williams,
Simeo, Bruce Billups, Eric P and Archie Love all made strong  showings.
____________________________________

The BLUES CRITIC staff  pick...
 SOUTHERN SOUL ARTIST OF THE YEAR
Sir Charles  Jones
This was a difficult choice  for the Blues Critic staff, this being the only
category we get to vote  on/pick. Omar Cunningham & Marvin Sease both had
stellar years,  winning two Blues Critic Awards apiece but nobody was as
ubiquitous as  Sir Charles Jones. Not only did he score hits via new songs on his "best
 of" package ("For Your Love: The Best Of Sir Charles Jones") and brand  new
album  ("My Story"), but he also dropped a successful DVD, sang  on hits by
Roni ("Come Back Kind Of Love"), Da Problem Solvas and Tyree  Neal ("Whiskey And
Blues") and produced songs by L.J. Echols &  others.  It was his best year
since his classic LP "Love  Machine" went bigtime and reportedly sold in the six
digits in  2001

_View the Top 30 Southern Soul Blues Albums for  2008_
(http://bluescritic.com/BestSouthernSoulBluesAlbums2008.htm)

_Return to Main  Awards Page_ (http://bluescritic.com/bluescriticawards.htm)
 (http://bluescritic.com/)  (http://bluescritic.com/CDStore.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/NewCDReviews.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/southernsoulbluescharts.htm)  (http://bluescritic.com/bluescriticradio.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/soulbluesartists.htm)  (http://bluescritic.com/bluescriticawards.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/interviews.htm)  (http://bluescritic.com/annualbestof.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/commentary.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/concertreviews.htm)  (http://bluescritic.com/advertise.htm)
(http://bluescritic.com/soulblueslinks.htm)  (http://bluescritic.com/contactus.htm)

__._,_.___
_Messages  in this topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/message/18471;_ylc=X3oDMTM2MDRnZmVlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxN
zA1MDI0MDU3BG1zZ0lkAzE4NDcxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTUxMwR0cGN
JZAMxODQ3MQ--) (1)  _Reply (via web post) _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2c0bXBhBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc
3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BG1zZ0lkAzE4NDcxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTU
xMw--?act=reply&messageNum=18471) | _Start  a new topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcWR2dnRpBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzU
xMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTUxM
w--)
_Messages_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMDVpZDZ2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdH
IEc2xrA21zZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTUxMw--)   | _Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZzRuZW1qBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIz
NzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2ZpbGVzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzQ1Mzk1MTM-)
  | _Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJldG1zOHUyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdH
IEc2xrA3Bob3QEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTUxMw--)   | _Database_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJjYzdqZmwyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
UxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2RiBHN0aW1lAzEyMzQ1Mzk1MTM-
)   | _Polls_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYTRrbmIwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdH
IEc2xrA3BvbGxzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzQ1Mzk1MTM-)   | _Calendar_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdTRlNzk4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
UxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2NhbARzdGltZQMxMjM0NTM5NTEz
)
Need  official info about the ORANGE BLOSSOM BLUES SOCIETY?
Just click right  here for the Home Page, then click on *News!*

_http://www.obbs.org/_ (http://www.obbs.org/)

MARKETPLACE

____________________________________
 _From  kitchen basics to easy recipes - join the Group from Kraft Foods  _
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13rm9jbqh/M=493064.12016295.13271503.10835568/D=grp
lch/S=1705024057:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1234546713/L=/B=8_ZmE0PDhEA-/J=1234539513532
980/A=5530388/R=0/SIG=11nuutlas/*http://explore.yahoo.com/groups/kraftmealsmad
esimple/)

_Change  settings via the Web_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMTh2cGhpBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MD
I0MDU3BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzQ1Mzk1MTM-)  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email:  _Switch  delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:bossofflorida-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  | _Switch
format to Traditional_
(mailto:bossofflorida-traditional@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional)
_Visit  Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida;_ylc=X3oDMTJkc2M5cHFjBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwNmd
HIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjM0NTM5NTEz) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe  _

Recent  Activity
    *    1
_New  Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bossofflorida/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmN2I2ODg3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwN
2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyMzQ1Mzk1MTM-)

p/bossofflorida;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbjlwdjBmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUxMDIzNzQEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDI0MDU3BHNlYwN2d
GwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTIzNDUzOTUxMw--)

New business?
_Get  new customers._
(http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13o4sfe58/M=493064.12016308.12445700.8674578/D=grplch/S=1705024057:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1234546713/L=/B=9PZmE0P
DhEA-/J=1234539513532980/A=3848640/R=0/SIG=131an6mds/*http://searchmarketing.y
ahoo.com/arp/srchv2.php?o=US2002&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=Groups1&s=Y&s2=&s3=&b=50)
List your web site
in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups
_Do  More For Dogs Group_