Re: [Harp-L] Charlie

There's a reason why Charlie plays the style he does. It's the only way to play those tunes. There IS no better way. I was playing that way (with a few more notes) before I knew who he was. It was only later (when I met Don Les) that I realized that I was playing a combination of Charlie and Don. Now, of course, that doesn't mean that I can imitate them convincingly. Charley is a year and a half older than I, and I believe he started playing harp earlier than I also, but when playing country music in cross harp, I feel that numerous people would soon realize that there is only one logical way to play these tunes. It just so happens to be Charley's way.

My only difference was that while Londonderry Air and other similar 2 harp tunes were being payed on 2 harps. I was using 1.

Now, lets say for a minute that this particular style of playing can be attributed TO Charlie. For a close approximation of his style. listen to Jerl Welch (founder of Hoot and resident of Dallas). When I listen to Jerl's wonderful work, I can't tell that it isn't Charlie.
And I have 10 of his albums.

smo-joe ( personal body guard to Johnny Rocco)