Re: [Harp-L] Re: Walter Horton's daughter speaks out

On Feb 12, 2009, at 2:13 PM, Randy G. wrote:
"Anyone who listens to Big Mama Thorton sing 'Hound Dog' and still likes Elvis better just doesn't know s--- about music."

Wilhelmina Mae did this tune in 52. Elvis didn't do it till 56. When I heard Wilhelmina do it (live) in 1961 at Percy Boossier's (pronounced Beau-szhey) , a roadhouse in Port Allen..across the river from Baton Rouge, I immediately quit listening to Elvis' version. Proof (to me at least) that SLOW versions of tunes are sometimes better than flash-bang versions.

smo-joe (personal valet to Rick Blaine)

From Randy G. Live to Play - Play to Live http://www.myspace.com/RandyGBlues http://www.myspace.com/PhatBoyzBlue