[Harp-L] Fast vs Slow Playing

GREAT POST, Joe.

Personally, I admire Sugar Blue and I admire Junior Wells. Each a great creative artist. Each a master of the diatonic harmonica, with GREAT TONE and great phrasing.

Fully realized aesthetic statements from each are reproduced at the links provided by Joe.

I listen to both of these master musicians regularly, and enjoy both. I’m inspired by both and take from both. So much to learn from each.

Too many notes? Too few notes? Too fast? Too Slow? Too bad I can't play as well as either of them. Take your pick. Wish I could.

JP

Joe K writes:

Into the fray I shall jump.? If I sound like a pompous jackass, it's only because I am one.?

Accomplished musicians strive for mastery of their chosen instrument knowing that mastery is virtually impossible.? One of the most compelling aspects of musicianship is that there is always a new challenge on the next horizon.? Already one of the great pianists of his age, Ignace Paderewski went into seclusion for three years, studying daily with his mentor Leschetizsky and transformed his great talent into living legend.? After all that,?Paderewski reluctantly? admitted he could "play a bit".?

Offering two brilliant harp players as examples -?Sugar Blue (as fast as anybody) and Junior Wells (gets more music out of?fewer notes than any player alive) - they approach the same conclusion from different directions: damn great music.? Evidence offered to support thesis:?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nuOWuhWNmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPKBEUEnJ8

My problem with fast playing (ala Blues Travailers) is that speed is sometimes seen as the end result itself.? 16th notes which become 64th notes can sound like a semi-melodic fax machine.? Worse yet, an audience is distracted/dazzled by a display of tricks rather than immersed in the music itself.? The doubled-triplets in the climax of Free Bird can sound wonderful but Skynnyrd doesn't play them in every damn song.?

Speed is useful when it's necessary to the musical moment - but not as a sheer display of talent.? There are faster guitarists than Clapton (the original Slowhand) but few who match his musicianship and plain old brilliance.? I forget the musician but the quote goes something like "You never want to give them everything because then you've got nothing left."? Speed should be cultivated and nurtured but used sparingly, like spices in a good meal.?

I've run out of pontificating metaphors.?

My two cents worth.?

Joe K