[Harp-L] hearing it in your head

Last year, Mr. Hunter put up a post quoting another musician (I think it was a steel guitar player) who said something like, "If you can think it, you can play it." Even if i don't have the quote exactly right, truer words have never been spoken.

A beginner plays what he CAN play. As a player progresses, he becomes able to express himself. His technique improves to a point where he is capable of making what he hears in his head come out of the harmonica. Instead of playing what he CAN play, he becomes able to play what he WANTS to play.

The next step: Now that the player can play pretty much whatever he wants to play, WHAT should he play? That's my problem. My technique is so much better developed than my imagination.

JP