  From: Steve Shaw
  To: harp-l harp-l
  Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:12 PM
  Subject: RE: [Harp-L] newbie question (which keys of harps)

  > If you have harmonicas in the keys of A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F and G you
  > will be covered for 90-95% of the tunes that ordinarily get called.
  > Add the keys of E and Ab you will be covered for 98-99% of the tunes
  > called unless you are playing with jazz bands or horn bands.
  >
  > Personally, I only play Richter tuned harmonicas. I use 5th position
  > to play minor keys.
  >
  > JP

  I suppose it all depends on the genre.  In traditional Irish music you will cover, oh, I dunno, 95+% of all the tunes with harps in G, D (preferably low) and A.  I'd keep a C handy but you could get by without one.  Get the owld file and tuner out and raise that 3-blow a tone and you will be in Paddy Richter Nirvana.  Mine's a shorter list of required harps, so maybe I have a cheaper hobby! ;-)

  Minor-sounding "keys" (modes really, Dorian and Aeolian) come out in third or fourth position in Irish.

  Steve Shaw