Re: [Harp-L] Epiphone Valve Special - Opinions and Help for

Scott, I blow through the same amp.

It's quite normal if you can't turn the gain up much (I can't get mine past 9 O' Clock) when you have the master volume on full (and you want it to). If you need any more volume you will have to mic the speaker of the amp.

Personally I prefer sticking with 12AX7 tubes when the circuit is designed to use them... I tried 5751 and 12AT7 and it just made the tone thin and raspy. I do agree with Rick on using EH EL84 tubes though. The JJ ones just don't do it for me either. I don't use the tone controls on this amp and I've also had the DSP circuit completely removed. No opamps for me! I also got a hardwire bypass done to it as part of the DSP circuit removal mod. The amp sounds way better without it.

I'm playing through a Shure Beta57 mic with an in-line impedance transformer and Digitech delay peal.. FYI.

You can hear what it sounds like mic'ed with an SM57 in the recent videos I uploaded on my youtube page. ( http://www.youtube.com/harmonicazhin ) Please forgive me for my amatuerish playing though! I've only been playing for 1.5 years.

Btw, the speaker isn't stock either but it's nothing too fancy. Just a Celestion Tube 10 (only 10" speaker can find in Malaysia). It's 35W and ceramic. I don't like it.

Personally I'm not happy with this amp but the following things I've mentioned have given me the most effective volume I could use with it. I'm actually waiting for my Harp Gear Rock Bottom amp to arrive and then giving this amp to my Dad who actually plays guitar.

-Zhin