Re: [Harp-L] amps for newbie

I guess I should have asked what you were able to spend. The HG2 sounds like a great solution if you want to make that kind investment right away. If you want to get in with a low initial investment the Valve jr. seems like a good choice.

For the money, Valve Jr is about as close as you can get to a good old fender tweed champ. Very simple circuit. It can be easily modded when the time comes and for the small bucks it should be fun to use out of the box. If you're not trying to maximize vloume before feedback this worth checking out. I'm sure others more into these things will suggest speaker(medium$) and tube substitutions (small$) that will make it more harp friendly. After that you'll need a soldering iron. The simplicity of these amps have made it very popular with electronic tinkerers. There are a number of suppliers who now carry things like replacement transformers and the like the valve jr. And as has been mentioned, there are a number of amp techs who are willing and able to these things for you. For about $150.00 you can't go wrong.
Good luck and have fun

Howard

dgilroy@xxxxxxx wrote:
Mostly blues, some clean but mostly "down low dirty". Practice for now, solo

-----Original Message----- From: Howard Chandler <h_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: dgilroy@xxxxxxx Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 9:26 am Subject: Re: [Harp-L] amps for newbie

What style of music? Clean or "down low dirty"? For stage work or practice? Band or solo. dgilroy@xxxxxxx <mailto:dgilroy@xxxxxxx> wrote: > Ok, I have seen a lot of good stuff regarding amps. Unfortunately, a lot of it is "greek" to me. I have been toying with the harmonica for years and now that I am over 50, finally getting serious. So, in a sense I am a newbie. The good part is I can actually play the thing somewhat. I think I am ready for an amp. My question to the group is, what is a good quality starter amp for someone who isn't great but will be soon? I don't want to have to rebuild the thing after I buy it. I'll get to that as I improve. This is a great place to learn about amps once you get your feet wet. I need to get my feet wet. Thanks in advance. > > DGilroy > _______________________________________________ > Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org <http://www.spah.org/> > Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx> > http://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/> > Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.18/1936 - Release Date: 02/03/09 17:48:00 > >