[Harp-L] Re: WAS Why use a rack?/NOW uke tuning

Phil wrote:

"For those of you who want to accompaniment and don't want to learn the guitar

-- the uke is far simpler to learn, partly because of its tuning. GCEA --like

putting a capo on the fifth fret of a guitar and ignoring the 5th and 6th

strings. The only difference is that the G is pitched just below the A. So no

matter which you strum -- up or down, you hit a high note before you hit the rest

of the strings."

Actually, the tuning you describe, with the high G string, is called re-entrant tuning. If you prefer to have a low G string you can outfit your ukulele with a low G string. I find I prefer low G for some tunes, high G for others. The low G is handy if you are going to be doing a lot of melodic fingerpicking or single-note soloing. I love the re-entrant high G tuning for rhythm playing.

Ukulele Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA