Re: [Harp-L] Why use a rack?

In a message dated 2/2/09 7:39:39 AM, jaybird33066@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Madcat uses a large paper clamp that can be purchased at Office Depot and
Stables, etcetera to hold the mike. I don't recall what he said for the rest of
the mike-stand mounted harp holder.

I took his implied advice and went to Hawaii (for 2 weeks in Nov) and
purchased a Ukulele. It looks like the standard soprano uke (not like Madcats).

For those of you who want to accompaniment and don't want to learn the guitar
-- the uke is far simpler to learn, partly because of its tuning. GCEA --like
putting a capo on the fifth fret of a guitar and ignoring the 5th and 6th
strings. The only difference is that the G is pitched just below the A. So no
matter which you strum -- up or down, you hit a high note before you hit the rest
of the strings.

And like the harp, they are portable and relatively cheap ($50-$100) for a
student grade instrument. The hardest part is tuning up -- which isn't difficult
at all with an electronic tuner. Or you can tune by ear: My Dog Has Fleas.

Phil