Re: [Harp-L] Overblowing with a drinking straw

The straw experiment (which duplicates something Bobbie Giordano did ten years ago) does not require any radical rethinking of how overblows work. It actually demonstrates both aspects of standard theory:

1) an activator is needed.

2) the correct resonant frequency must be achieved in order to influence the pitch of the reed.

(Air direction, sometimes cited in descriptions of overblow technique, is a coincidental phenomenon in the player's mouth. It's useful as tactile feedback, as are sensations of suction or pressure - they are effects that are useful gauges, but they are not causes.)

The straw does the same thing as the player's tongue at the point where it narrows the air channel, thus speeding up the airflow while reducing air pressure. So it functions as an activator.

The resonant frequency of the chamber attached to the harmonica, whether it be the straw or the player's mouth, will determine whether an overblow is achieved, and what note sounds when you achieve the overblow.

Two things appear to be uncontrolled in Ben's experiment, both of which can be explained by standard theory:

1) Ben does not always get a successful overblow by applying the straw. Could the activation be not properly set up, or might the resonant frequency be outside the ability of the reed to respond? (or maybe he just doesn't have the straw preperly connected to the hole.)

2) Most of he overblows (except, I think, the very first one) are bent up above default overblow pitch by at least a semitone. This indicates that the resonant frequency being set up with the straw (might it be influenced by his mouth shape?) is well above the default pitch of the reed in opening (overblow) mode.

These two facts indicate that the critical shaping of the resonant chamber is a haphazard matter in the straw experiment.

One interesting question it raises, though, is whether the length of the "tunnel" - the narrowed part of the airflow - contributes to the stability, or even the pitch of the overblow.

Winslow Yerxa