[Harp-L] Re: Amp Overkill and topic overkill

Since it was probably my rant about large amps and too much volume that
caused this thread to 'morph' as Iceman put it so well, let me attempt to
correct some things, since the written word maybe doesn't always express
thoughts as well as the spoken. I've no problem with large amps and agree
with the many who've posted that large amps can have that 'sound' a
particular player wants, whether it is a clean horn sound or that Chicago
'crunch'. A lot of my commenting dealt with (or tried to ) having to lug a
huge amp to a gig or jam because I know in advance it will get too loud. One
venue I play on a weekly basis is a room probably 30 feet deep and maybe 80
feet wide. The band is set up on stage along the 80' long wall, facing the
bar a mere 20' or less away. Yet, when you get 2 guitar players on stage, a
bass player, and drummer, and add a harp player in the mix it could get loud
fast. And typically does when another guitar player is invited to sit in
with the two already on stage. Think  a couple of Super Reverbs, Blackface,
etc. In that type of setting there's no reason for it to get out of control
and there have been times when because of the volume I'll simply dismiss
myself from the fray. Why contribute to that? Yet, I've seen this same venue
host Dennis Gruenling and Steve Guyger (both with big amps) and have the
level be perfect. Why? Because the band was tight, and knew how to play that
size room. My other comment was more pointed toward the prevalent belief
some beginners have that in order to get that 'tone', it takes the overkill
sized amp and that's not always the case. Again, as has already been pointed
out, amp choice comes down to the sound you want, but there are amps big and
small that can deliver. As for dragging a big amp onstage in lieu of a
'practice' amp just to gain some kind of acceptance from those who might
look down on 'practice' amps, I wouldn't (or can't) do it. After losing a
neck vertebrae and now living with a spinal graft, I don't hoist big amps,
nor do I need to. I mentioned previously my two go-to amps were an 8 watt
Hurricane V8 fashioned after a Champ circuit, and a 1482 Silvertone which is
essentially a 5E3 Deluxe circuit, and they both can deliver the sound I want
-- from hornlike to overdriven. Bottom line: I've no bone to pick with big
amps -- I own probably 14 different amps including the 6 x 10 cab 100 watt
tube monster that'd peel paint if needed, all the way down to a tiny 3W 3
tube Silvertone someone gave me. My point was that volume need not be so
loud that it drives people away or deafens.

bill otten