[Harp-L] Bends Tonica Chromatic Review

Hi All,

Last August, Rodrigo Eberienos brought me a Bends "Tonica" chromatic harmonica for me to try with the one stipulation that I talk about it on the internet.  I am pleased to say I give it a great review.  I probably wasn't the best person to ask to review an out of the box chromatic as I have been playing my Renaissance for 10 years now and my reeds have always been prepared by legends in the business (Douglas Tate and Pat Missin) ever since.  No, I haven't replace my Renny with the Bends ;-).

However, this is a great instrument.  I know this from my own experience and also the added knowledge that I received from Ron Kalina who also got one in August from Digo (and he didn't have to write about it . . . grumble, grumble . . .) and who gave me his opinion of it as well.  Ron and I both kept it around as a practice instrument (Ron performs with and plays Hohner instruments) and we tried to give it the "run around".  Ron plays his more than I.

First, wear and tear.  So far no problems for either of us.  You can play it every day.  It has a great slide (traditional design made out of a special material) which rarely - if ever - sticks!!  It is responsive and reasonably air tight for an out of the box instrument.  Neither Ron nor I have "fiddled" with it.  The reeds have yet to require tuning.  It's pretty darn good right out of the box.

Other great features are the round holes (for those who like them) long-lasting, beautifully engraved cover plates that have no sign of wear and tear and an acrylic comb (I believe - but don't hold me to it).  Also, the cover plates cover the whole length of the comb - like the Hohner Super 64X (which it slightly resembles in looks).  It is a sturdy instrument.  The one thing more that Ron and I agreed upon is that it has a "good tone".  I will go into that below.

>From here on in, I am speaking alone because I simply couldn't keep Ron on the phone for another two hours ;-).  I, personally, think the tone is a lot like the Hohner Super 64X, which I have some experience with.  It is a beautiful tone and it lends itself well to any kind of music.  It is a "round tone" (from me alone) that reminds you of the sound of a French Horn or Clarinet (low register of the flute if played without vibrato).  For those who are uninspired by the slightly brighter tones of the chromatics being produced by all the companies now, this is an answer (when it gets to market).  If you had to find the closest comparison to it on the market today, I would say the Hohner 270 Deluxe.

As for other players that I have heard use it . . .Rodrigo gave a great performance at SPAH and played it wonderfully.  In addition, although he might not recall, I handed it to Robert Bonfiglio and he proceeded to play several beautiful tones on it remarking that it is, in fact, "a harmonica" - but nothing more conclusive.  The fact is he didn't react badly to it.  As a matter of fact, I haven't known a bends harmonica to have injured a single person so far ;-).

The one thing I lamented is that this was not yet on the market, that I know of, until very recently - i.e. today ;-).  I checked just now (and I mean while I was writing this) on their site at:  http://www.bends.com.br/index.php , they said it was available in Brazil and on the web and described it as:

> Determining level. Instrument made with care and adjustments
> for those who dominate the chromatic harmonica. With special
> treatment of the parts and materials, which results in a unique product,
> with speed in playing and soft and smooth pitch.

> 1.20 mm special brass alloy reed-plate with special bronze reeds
> fixed with Stainless Steel rivet.

> Crystal Acrylic Comb, Stainless Steel cover plate with electrostatic
> paint in black color, laser recording and closing with 2 special screws.

> Mouthpiece with stainless steel upper and lower flails, stainless
> steel sliding bar with special Ultra Slide treatment, providing
> rapid response.

> Available in key(s): C, D, G, A, Bb
> Weight: 230g

They Have a 14 hole available in C only and a 16 hole available in C and Bb.

So, I guess this was a good day to write about it ;-).  I really should have written sooner.

Anyway, back to what I was saying, I still don't know where to find it as I couldn't find any chromatics listed on the links from their website, but you might be able to order them somewhere.  Just check on the Bends website.

I think that bends is a serious instrument that can be used by serious players.  Their willingness at the Bends plant to adopt acrylic at this early a stage in manufacturing means that they are committed to using the most modern of methods to construct their instruments.  The one thing I know nothing about is the price.  Rodrigo thought it would be priced "reasonably", but that is not very specific.  I hope it will be priced well and that it will be well received.  I know I enjoy mine and I do recommend it to others as a performance instrument.

Michael