[Harp-L] Amp overkill

Little amps overdrive and distort easily. Not all of us like that sort of dirt. IMHO, bigger amps respond better to what the player is doing (if the player knows what he is doing) and can be played clean or dirty, depending on breath and mic handling technique, instead of just producing overdriven distortion all night long.

But, if I'm on a big stage w/ house sound, separate stage mix, etc. i will always go directly into the board but use my own mic. i was on a big stage Friday night, told the house sound man what i wanted, used my own mic and i don't think i've ever sounded better. Of course, I'm not a distortion freak, i think "crunch" just muddies my tone, and i don't use bullet mics. But even into a big PA, putting a tight cup on my 545 Ultimate combined with appropriate breath technique gave me all the grit i wanted on demand, but only WHEN i wanted it. Stage sound was through the monitors which never get washed out by the guitar amps.

You've got to know enough to be able to tell the sound guy in general terms what you want, but it's not rocket science. Probably won't work if you want a distorted Chicago sound, or "crunch," but I don't.

Just my personal preference for large venues. Others may disagree, and probably will.

JP