[Harp-L] Re: Amp overkill

Although I play 90% of the time using an 8 watt Hurricane V8 (essentially a
hot rodded Champ) lined out into the house PA, or a killer Silvertone 1482
there are times when it might be necessary to pull out the heavy iron.
Bigger venues would require it. But on more than a few occasions there were
times when either of my two above listed amps just didn't cut it with the 8W
and 15W outputs. I'm talking about being up on stage with 3 or more guitar
players who feel the need to take the volume to earsplitting levels, one
turns up, the next responds likewise, etc. You've all seen it. If I used the
line-out on the Hurricane, no problem because into the PA I'm on a par. This
seems to happen often at open jams.

When it would get routine, I'd pack the Silvertone 1485 head along with the
6 - 10" cab or my funky purple tolexed 2 - 15" cab. One warm up riff on that
would usually get agreement that we all keep the volume down to an
acceptable level. I DO NOT enjoy playing loud, nor do I enjoy having to wear
my Etymotic ER 20 Hi-Fi Natural Sound Ear Plugs  if I don't have to.  I
played for about 10 years with the late, great harp player Rock Bottom. His
direction to the band was always that in club or bar venues that "there's
guys in the audience trying to get lucky with the ladies, if they can't
carry on a conversation cuz we're too loud, it's wrong". He also used to
remark that most people who can't play well, play too loud, as if that
covered up the poor playing.  For the big time pro's like Piazza, Hummel,
Musselwhite, Gruenling, etc. who play festivals and concert venues over
acres and thousands of people, then I can see the big amps as a necessity.
But it isn't because only a big amp will supply that 'tone'. Somehow I think
that idea evolved out of that Fender Bassman mystique. Like those pick up
trucks jacked up 5 feet at bumper level..what's the point?

bill otten