From: bfrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, Dec 27, 2009 9:12 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] fave harpists

drove for 7 hours today listening to nothing but harp players.  here's what i
came up with...
little walter and butterfield are tied for 1st.  walter's tone is STILL
unbelieveable! and so inventive is his playing!  butter's playing is still
amazing!  everyone else is in 2nd place. except for ricci, who i have no cd's
yet, but would be right up there, especially if he slowed down once in awhile
and let the emotion build (only shortcoming, in my opinion...and that's a teeny
weeny fault!)  musselwhite is a great technical player, but he's lost a bit of
emotion.  (louisiannna fog is his ultimate tune)  kim wilson is right up there
as well.  amazing player. cotton, yup.  big walter...doesn't get enough credit.
ok, everyone else is in 3rd...estrin is very close, too.  (rain is still
incredible tune)
um...everyone else is in 4th.  i think. piazza just doesn't have the emotion
that hits me in the heart..but he's got tone like a big elephant in a small
room.

butterfield on that live 'everything gonna be alright' and live 'countryside'
are the ultimate in live playing...and his studio stuff on 'one more heartache'
and 'run out of time' and 'east-west'  and a bunch of others is untouchable for
playing the right note at the right time.

7 hours...drove to the texas coast to palacios...too cold to fish...xlnt bbq in
lockhart!