Re: [Harp-L] Musselwhite Video

Robert Paparozzi wrote:
<Charlie is sure sounding good in this video and I really liked this
<band.....I love how he comps and back up the Guitarist when it's his turns
<to solo.....masterful and he makes it looks so EZ!
<
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkJWTQpvADU

Great video, great quality on both the sights and sounds, not to mention the playing.  Did anybody mention that Charlie switches from 2nd position for the opening to 3rd position for the first solo to 2nd position for the last solo?  Charlie's recording of "Christo Redentor" on "Tennessee Woman" was my introduction to 3rd position, and in general he uses it more frequently than most blues players.  This is one of the best 3rd position solos by Charlie that I've heard.

Charlie's using what looks like a Shure SM58 for the harp, and his sound is pretty clean compared to lots of blues harp.  I love the band too--what a great groove! The first note of the guitar player's solo is totally cool--it says "pay attention!" loud and clear.  And the drummer is perfect.  Wheelharp, who uploaded the video, says:
"Charlie Musselwhite with i think his best band: Andrew 'Jr Boy' Jones - guitar, Felton Crews - bass, Tommy Hill - drums"

I don't know if it's Charlie's best band. That might very well be the band that cut "Takin' My Time" in 1970, with Robben Ford on guitar and Skip Rose on piano. I'm certain that both these players brought out something special in Charlie's music.  But it's certainly one of Charlie's best bands.

Charlie Musselwhite can do no wrong.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter