[Harp-L] Re: TMJ / hearing

dave robbins wrote:
QUOTE:
Has
any of you that plays/practices alot ever have any issues with TMJ or
intermitten/permanent hearing loss associated with the jaw in one or
both ears. I do have tinnitus, but I think this is unrelated to that
type of hearing loss. This is a blocked ear feeling , similar to when
yawning, but more prevalent and longterm. If so, can it be treated?
How?
UNQUOTE

I had a terrible TMJ problem some years back (around 1990) ... I played both flute and harp a lot around that time ... took me a long time to figure out whether it was the flute or the harp causing it, and I finally decided it was a little of both. I was moving my jaw in weird and incorrect ways to try to bluesify my harping and to try to hit the upper registers of the flute. The only cure was a long rest, wherein I pursued other, non-jaw-intensive instruments such as hand drums, end-blown flutes and whistles, and stringed instruments. After a long rest, I was able to resume playing but am now careful not to pressure my jaw and to limit my playing time. I find that straight hrp playing doesn't affect my jaw muscles the way blues playing does. YMMV ...

As to hearing loss, I haven't had that, but I do have tinnitus and am fairly careful about high-frequency, high-volume situations. Also have learned that playing in glass-enclosed spaces triggers that heavily. I much prefer to play acoustically these days, and don't go to blues jams for that reason; everyone at those seems to want to play at excessively high volumes. Earplugs may help in that regard.

What you describe hearing-loss-wise sounds almost like you may have a wax buildup and/or water trapped in your ear canal. Does it go away if you tilt your head and  hit the side of your head with the palm of your hand? In any event, a trip to the ear doctor (or just to your regular MD) might be in order. Just my .02 worth, hope it helps.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA