Re: [Harp-L] James Taylor harmonica on "Road Runner"

Hi Richard,

Here are some youtube clips of him playing harmonica on this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBb3o7BTDtQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qPn5rw2X6o

The sound quality isn't great, but we can watch him having some fun and hear
something of what he's up to with harp.

I don't like to beat up on folkie harp players. They have their well
staked-out niche, and I accept that and even like a lot of it. But, still, I
have often wondered why the gap between their skill in singing, guitar or
piano playing, etc. and their skill in harmonica playing is so wide. Let's
encourage them. It would be so fine if Tift Merritt and Alanis Morrisette
and others so blessed with musical talent became more aware of how much
this shiny little music box can do.

As you suggest, maybe it's started here. Taylor's guitar playing was always
excellent--much more than simple accompaniment. Now, he is polishing up his
harp playing and may wonderfully surprise us in the future.

Eric