Re: [Harp-L] U-block

Well, I'm not well known, but I do use a form of U-blocking.

I do not form my tongue into a "u". I simply let air flow down the crease in the middle of my tongue, closing holes off on either side. I also use conventional tongue blocking, but I am not aware of switching from one form to the other. I just know that I do as I have felt myself using both forms.

I can make partial chords by permitting air to flow on one side and/or the other - it is particularly useful when you want one tone louder than the other(s).

Another thing that u-blocking facilitates for me is tonguing. Others have told me that they have to switch to puckering in order to do rapid tonguing, but I am able to do clean, rapid staccato tonguing while maintaining my tongue-block embouchure. I can't do that using conventional blocking.

I can't hear a difference, but then I can't hear the difference between my overblows and my valve-assisted bends.

-LM