[Harp-L] Eurythmics Missionary Man harp effects question

Ross writes:

The big harp solo midway through the song has me grinding on what his harp effects might be. Octave's with long delay? harp parts doubled in mixing? Anyone know or hazard an educated guess?

Ross,

There's less going on with effects than you might think. Clearly there's some studio double tracking of harp parts on the solo and there's some delay. Probably a preamp on the mic and maybe a little studio compression, too, which i believe is pretty standard studio gear for recording harmonica. But most of what you think are effects Is Jimmy Z using very deep throat bends with a very tight cup on a PA style mic--maybe a 545.

If you check out enough Eurythmics videos on YouTube you will find some concert footage of Jimmy Z performing this tune live with them. There's not a whole lot of difference between the sound and tone he gets live and what is heard on the studio album, and he is not using pedals . On the concert videos, it looks like he is using a 545 into a little old Gibson tube amp. He uses his throat to bend and bends the reeds right to floor of each bend almost all the time, usually releasing the bend slightly and then sometimes bouncing right back down to the floor of the bend repetitively and other times drawing out or elongating the release. All of this is done while simultaneously distorting the reeds by using throat constriction. He has a very powerful deep diagrammatic playing technique and all bending is done with the throat while using a very tight cup on the mic. He uses his diaphragm to articulate separation between notes, not his tongue. He creates a very deep and full resonance chamber and plays with incredibly powerful air flow. And a very tight cup. it's amazing what sounds one can get playing this way. It ain't so much electronics as it is Jimmy Z's technique.

I used to think it was effects. There 's clearly no octave divider, but I used to think he was using a flanger. However, after researching it by watching live videos and doing my best trying to learn how to copy it, I'm pretty confident most of the sounds you are talking about come from Jimmy Z himself. I greatly admire his harp playing. Extraordinarily powerful technique and a very creative player. Dave Stewart repeatedly called him the best harmonica player in the world. I'm sure there are those who disagree with that, but he's EXTREMELY good by any standard. Terrific sax player, too.

JP