Re: [Harp-L] re: this estrin cat

Rick Estrin...

They don't make em like that anymore.
I used to go see him every weekend when I lived in Sacramento.
Set the Harmonica discussion aside for a moment and we can talk entertainer.

Rick Estrin is by far one of the best entertainers (harp player) I have ever witnessed.
His Sly humor and Rap are always right on and underplayed.
For years he let himself be in the shadow of Little Charlie (Was Little Charlie and the Nightcats)
and I give him great credit for that.
He was in this great band with a great guitarist and rhythm section.
I think Kid Anderson (His new guitarist) is a great performer too but have not seen the new act.

One can learn a lot about how to get up and perform and sing in front of a live audience
from watching Rick...Great band. Old school entertainment... i'm not going to say he never played the same thing twice.
But he sure played it cool.
Little Charlie would put on a clinic on the history of guitar licks.
Not just Blues guys but if you would listen...a little Charlie Christian might slip in to the mix.
I am happy that I got to see those two together ...what a combo...

True..no overblows...but I don't want to see implants on Marilyn Monroe either.

I think what people are saying in previous mentions of Rick is a beyond his harp playing (maybe he is the best to some)
But that they would rather go see his performance....
Nobody had a better set of shark skin suits...
I used to go in just to see what he would wear or what he might say...
The day Yuba City got voted one of the "worst Cities to llve in" he was performing in a small club nearby.
He got up there and said "I don't know what's so bad about Yuba City...it has one of the better Dairy Queens I've ever been to"
The people of Yuba City got it...not everybody gets it...
Go see Rick...You'll get it.

Best of all he was always courteous to the musicans of the house...
His peers love the guy...not just because he can fit a whole harmonica in his mouth and play it with no hands..(cool though).
I've watched him really work on his singing and phrasing as much as his playing.
He learned from the best and paid his dues......

Him and Paul DeLay always cracked me up and waited till it was time to blow my mind with some good harp...wise guys.

I don't get any Steve Guyger time out here...
I will try and check him out if you put him in this conversation.
Must be really good.

You did make a comment about "california jump style colleagues relying on overarranged blues."
Not sure what you meant by that but would comment on some amazing arrangements by two blues players out here.

Andy Santana's last album has some amazing arrangement and horn section work...so does guitar player Mighty Mike Schermer.
Ask Kid Anderson.
They can't afford to bring these big bands on the road but the studio work is really top notch...
I guess you mean the being able to tell the time by what song is being played...
Hope that is not a west coast thing...

happy holiday harping to you
Grant