Re: [Harp-L] Gunslingers

On Dec 19, 2009, at 11:07 PM, Abner wrote:

Ken great story. A lot to keep in mind.

Abner

I LOVED that story so much I thought I was going to cry.

Speaking of gunslingers. I'd like to take that a step farther and use the term 'machine gunners'. I sometimes wonder what happened to music when I listen to someone machine gunning a deluge of notes? I'm talking about those players, who, in their zeal to 'deliver the mail', they forget that the people at the addresses (notes) have personality.

So here we have an apartment building (your harp), and there are 20 apartments. Now counting the notes you will have to 'manufacture', there are maybe what? 33 or so people (notes) living in that building. There are 20 apartments for the true notes and then there are notes living in the stairwell, elevator shaft, fire hose locker, furnace room, stair well, linen room, utility room, laundry room.

So we have these players who spew out a raft of notes and there is NO personality. This can get really annoying really quick. If I listen to a machine gunner for a few seconds and I have to hear this repetitious blast of uncorrelated notes, I'm ready to take the gas pipe. Ok, hey, I will be the last person to cap on these players IF that's what they think they have to do to 1. get the gigs, 2. get noticed, 3. get the recording contract, 4. get on TV, and yada yada. I mean, who am I to conflict with their world. I never foist my feelings on others.

So where is the MELODIOUS quality? When I listen to any music, and my taste is extremely varied, I want to hear some semblance TO music. Feeling..feeling is what I would like to experience. Give me some feeling and leave the pyrotechnics to small doses.

That's what I get with Jason. I feel what he's doing. I am never bored. He seldom goes over the same note choice in the same tune. AND every tune doesn't sound the same. Now when it comes to innovation..HERE's the guy. See. like I said, everyone has their own heros.

Oh, and btw, when are we going to stop ending every phrase with that tired old 2 draw-2draw bend-double hit on the 1 draw. Booooring.

smo-joe (as usual-personal opinion)