[Harp-L] reed tuning questions

Here are a few questions relating to reed tuning.  I have a bit of past experience but not much, so I figured I'd ask my questions here.

I am working on a project that will require custom reedplates that I will be 'creating' by swapping and retuning reeds in some existing reedplates.   It is something that I might be repeating for several sets of plates so I want to make sure I have a viable plan before I start.

The new layout requires that most of reeds get tuned up or down by 1 or 2 semitones.  However, a few of the higher reeds need to be tuned up by 3 or 4 semitones, and a few of the lower reeds need to be tuned down by 3 or 4 semitones.  (The reed plates in question are from a G Golden Melody tremolo.)

1. How far up or down can I expect to easily tune a reed before I wreck it?

2. I've heard that solder can be used to lower the pitch - is that required to get just 4 semitones?

3. It would make sense for me to set up some kind of 'tuning station'.  Best not to reinvent the wheel so any info or direction on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance folks,

Doug H