Re: [Harp-L] Butter TV spot

Oops forgot to spell check! In my last post.....
>No you did write 'insensibilities
I meant No you DIDN'T write 'insensibilities'....sorry Drew

On 12/19/09 4:45 PM, "Ev630" <eviltweed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> has a rock sensibility, I mean that in an objective sense - some of his
> phrasing is clearly heavily influenced by 60s rock guitar phrasing, rather
> than, say, horn phrasing. Well, that's no surprise - he did work with
> Michael Bloomfield who was being influenced by (and in turn influencing)
> other rock-blues guys at the time. (For example a LOT of the stuff
> Butterfield's doing on the live "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" is out of a
> rock guitar headspace merely in terms of the guitar-hero style showcasing of
> the instrument for a rock crowd). As for the rest of his stuff, the biggest
> influence I hear is Little Walter directly channeled through James Cotton
> (i.e., Nutpopper), who was Butterfield's senior by ten years on the Chicago
> scene. Don't mistake me, I think a lot of his stuff is great but it really
> sits in that whole crossover period that ultimately defines the late sixties
> rock scene.
>
> "However I totally respect your opinion and glad you have found harp
>> happiness in the players you find 'official'. I think that if you don't hear
>> the inventiveness in Butterfields' playing it just means you hear music
>> differently than I do (many others who have chimed in)....so we are back to
>> tastes and that is fine."
>>

> Hey, I totally respect your opinion, too. In my case, I actually mean that
> and won't qualify it with any back handed compliments. ;)
>
> By the way, I'm inferring from what I'm reading that some of the commenters
> have made the assumption I am advocating mimicry of Little Walter, by
> questioning Butterfield's influence. This seems to indicate a failure to
> acknowledge or understand the influence of Junior Wells, Cotton and others
> on modern blues harp. Both of those guys, for example, were (are) incredibly
> distinctive stylists with signature phrases, tones, etc. Don't make an
> assumption that I am advocating slavish mimicry of Walter because I mention
> Kim Wilson. To do so would indicate that a person knows nothing of Wilson's
> distinct, unique signature 3rd position phrasing, as one small example of
> how wrong-headed it is to think Wilson is some dumb Walter clone.
>
> Cotton was CLEARLY a huge influence on Butterfield, by the way. That's why
> there was a good-humored acknowledgment between the two musicians on various
> LPs at the time. For example, when Cotton did "Lovin' Cup" because
> Butterfield had recorded stuff Butterfield HEARD Cotton playing in the clubs
> at the time. (And there's no question that Cotton's take on that tune knocks
> it out of the park).
>
> Anyway, back to Rob. Thanks for your flags to tunes I need to look at more
> closely. I'll certainly do that.
>
> Thanks also to Ken, Mick Zaklan and Michele le Free for some interesting
> takes on this issue.
>
> Drew
>
> PS. This is a re-post. I think I had some formatting issues. Sorry if it's

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com