[Harp-L] Butter TV spot

               The overused word "subjective" once again takes the stage here. I wore out the grooves on my recording of "Drifting and Drifting" because of Paul's tone and nuances and vocal-like-harp-playing on that particular solo. One day a couple of "cool" NYU students up in the Bronx put some headphones on me and played Musslewhite's rendition of Christo Redemptor in an effort to give me an orgasm and it worked. Although I was a kid that easily hero-worshiped the subtext  of my love was music. And these two songs made me want to hug the speakers. I later heard (and met) Cotton, and Wells, and Muddy, and saw Smith, and Sugar, and a bunch of other NYC magicians. For me, then and now, I was color blind: Clarke and Piazza galvanized me as much as any of their predecessors. The techs posting on harp-l can perhaps define the blues formally but for me (subjective me) the blues were and are effusive and the two songs I referred to were indeed effusive: the former (Driftin) in it's throaty raw harp-vocalizations and the latter (Christo) in Charlie's slow deep tone. I'm not a nostalgic (based on my own blues of the period) but those two songs (as well as a couple from George Smith's "Arkansas Trap") still make me want to hug those speakers. Imo: versatile players like Rob Paparozzi and Mark Ford have also infused their Butterfield renderings with reverence and innovation.
http://www.myspace.com/blowintheblues