To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 12:12 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Middle C question

I have a student who is reading some piano books.  He says there are
numbers after the letter C, for example, C0, C1, C2 thru C8.  He
wanted it explained.

I did not see his book.  I am assuming that C0 would be the lowest C
on the piano, but perhaps he misquoted the book to me and there is no
C0 and the lowest C on the piano would be C1.  What is the truth?

Then, which numbered C is considered middle C?

Then, on a standard 12 hole chromatic, which is middle C?

Then, when you read treble clef, middle C is the C in the third space
up from the bottom of the staff, correct?

Thanks,
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com