[Harp-L] Traveling with instruments

Winslow asks:

>Who is willing to check their harps in as luggage to avoid
>the hassle of schlepping, explaining to baggage screeners, etc., and who insists
>on keeping their harps in their possession the entire time?

I keep them with me because I can't afford to lose them. With checked baggage it is always a gamble. My luggage has been delayed for at least 24 hours on three occasions and once my suitcase arrived on time but badly torn (ballistic nylon, too; the airline replaced it). And I don't even fly that much! The process at airport security is almost always painless although I once had an experience like Bill's where the woman to whose table I was directed had me open my harp case and then, with astonishing quickness for a person of advanced middle age, plucked a Filisko from its slot, jammed it in her mouth, and honked on it tunelessly for a good thirty seconds. Then returned it to its slot and grinned up at me, clearly immensely pleased with herself. I smiled back weakly....

It's nice to be able to brighten up the day of someone who, after all, must have a pretty boring job. The urge to do her unspeakable violence passed in mere weeks.