[Harp-L] Billy Branch and Love Letter from God

Last Sunday in church the following video was played.  It is called "A Love
Letter from God".  Someone very cleverly strung together a series of bible
verses to create a "letter from God" that flowes very nicely.  For those of
you who are believers, you will enjoy it.

Love Letter from God:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEfJpJ1lhQc

Then this morning, I noticed a name while reading through the latest harp-l
post that I had not heard before - Billy Branch.  The fact that I have not
previously not heard of Billy may constiture heracy in and of itself, but
that's another conversation.  One of the things that I do love about the
daily harp-l communications is that they have introduced me to dozens of
artists that I would not have been aware of otherwise (including, of course,
many who post on harp-l).  Be that what it may, I googled Billy and found a
YouTube video of a live performance at the 1982 America Folk Blues Festival.
What struck me immediately is that I have heard almost all of the licks he
is playing (even know a few of them myself), but had never heard them played
in that sequence before.  It immediately reminded me of the Love Letter from
God video.  And when you think about it, isn't that what we all do - learn
some licks and then string them together in some improvisational sequence
that flows and sounds good to us?

Just a thought.

Here is Billy's video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o6JAfV2ghM

Tom Halchak