[Harp-L] traveling with instruments

Richard wrote:
When I carry my full harp kit (85 instruments or so) on a trip, I put them in checked luggage.  I sometimes pack an RP350 in checked luggage also.
Why not?  The stuff is replaceable, often on short notice.

If a person has to fly with 85 harps plus other musical equipment, checking as luggage is evidently the most practical way.  But if you travel lighter or
have expensive customized instruments or spend a lot of time tweaking to maximize playability, I would suggest you carry them on your person
whenever possible.  My best harps are highly treasured and not at all easily replaced.  Like Bill Hines suggested, open the case and verbally advise the
luggage checker at the x-ray machine of the contents beforehand.  I've learned thru experience that security people are on the lookout for wires and
batteries, and have been told that harps look like bullet cartridges.
ron