[Harp-L] traveling with instruments (was PRX? Piece?NEA Jazz Master Toots Thielemans)

>From Winslow: "Harmonica content: Who is willing to check their harps in as
 luggage to avoid the hassle of schlepping, explaining to baggage
screeners,  etc., and who insists on keeping their harps in their possession the
entire  time?

Winslow "

For my part - and despite my decidedly amateur status, I always schlep most
 of them onto the plane in my harmonica case inside my roll on bag which I
now  place unopened on the conveyor belt.  I make a point of telling the
closest  agent that there's 'a case of harmonicas coming through'....which
person usually  nods and calls the info down to the next one and so on. If they
open the  case it's never with any amount of fuss. This has resulted in
fairly smooth  sailing for my last few trips (other than my having to lug this
heavy bag the  last few feet on board with effective use of only one arm for
the last 2 years)  and needing help in getting it into and down from the
overhead bin.

Separately, I carry my A chromatic and sometimes a C as well with me in
soft, fabric padded 'eyeglass' cases which then slip into one of the many
inside  pockets in my matching  purse/tote, just in case I'm asked to play...or
need to while away any real length of time. (I've discovered Vera Bradley
accessories are a perfect fit for CX-12's..have gotten matching ones to  my
purse off EBay)

(here's an example for anyone interested - be sure to look  for the
'double' eyeglass case - the prices range from  very inexpensive to 'far too much'
- come in very many colours, some of  which patterns are quite suitable for
men).

_http://cgi.ebay.com/Vera-Bradley-CLASSIC-BLACK-Double-Eyeglass-Case-NWOT_W0
QQitemZ390093016696QQcategoryZ169297QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trk
parmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDD
SIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/Vera-Bradley-CLASSIC-BLACK-Double-Eyeglass-Case-NWOT_W0QQitemZ390093016696QQcategoryZ169297QQcmdZViewItem
QQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo=SIC&its=I&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUF
I%2BDDSIC&otn=10&ps=63)

or its tiny url:

_http://tinyurl.com/yatslpx_ (http://tinyurl.com/yatslpx)

I put address labels in my harp case and stickers on and in it  such as
'Harmonica players Rock'...etc, then make a point of having  conversations with
the security people...explaining to them that I'm on my  way to (or from) a
harmonica convention...occasionally asking if they've had a  lot of other
people coming through with similar instruments -  most often to nods and
smiles. None of this hurts and works for me.  I've met a few harp-playing TSA
agents this way.

The one plane trip where I was forced to allow my carry-on case to be taken
 from me and literally tossed into the cargo hold due to confusion over the
 flight...cured me of ever allowing my chromatics to fly as checked
baggage. I  watched from the plane as my bag was thrown around the tarmac by
baggage  handlers - (very akin to the video about the broken guitar). I hadn't
packed  them for that kind of rough handling and not one played correctly when
I  got to the convention, requiring much work on and re-aligning of reeds
and  valves.  In fact, one of my Super 64's has never quite played the same
since.....

As far as I'm concerned chromatics should never be considered checked
baggage. Ymmv.

Elizabeth