[Harp-L] Re: Buscmann & Richter Tunings

Hello, Mike Rubin.

Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your help at the SPAH
Convention 2007, in Milwaukee. You were at the Joe Filisko's Teach-In, and I
asked you about how to achieve overblows on the Richter system 10-hole diatonic
harp. While others evaded the issue or didn't answer, you were clear and
understandable.

This is only a guess:

the tunings used by Buschmann's single reed per note slideless chromatic
"Aura" (1822 patent)and Richter 10-hole diatonic single reed harp (possibly
Josef Richter, circa 1858) might be:  Aura, equal temperament; and  Richter,
just intonation.

Today's stock chromatics are generally equal temperament, and today's
10-hole Richter system harps are generally just intonation or more recently
modified just intonation.

The purpose of Richter's note placement and tuning was to provide simple
chord accompaniment for the diatonic harp, so it was probably JI. The purpose
of  the slideless chromatic Buschmann was to play single note melodies
only, no  chords.

According to the legend, Richter was visiting an accordion factory, and saw
 how the accordion reeds were placed and tuned for the best harmonies, and
copied  it to the diatonic harp.

According to the legend, Buschmann placed a set of 12 or 13 pitch pipe
reeds in a horizontal row, and played it. Later he extended the range of the
new  instrument.

John Broecker