I'd never check my harps, because I'd have no way of knowing that the baggage screeners didn't open them and start playing them (as I posted a while back, they did this right in front of me in Mumbai earlier this month). Yeah you can get the special TSA locks and that which they can remove and put back on so you still don't know.

Also it's not uncommon for stuff to get stolen or broken by baggage people, so i'd rather keep them with me for sure. Another reason is that if there are long delays, you can sometimes find a place to go and quietly work on some riffs, scales or just play to pass the time.

I have the drill down to a science and it's rarely a problem or inconvenience. In the security line I place my case in a tray separately as I do with my laptop. I open the case so the harps are visible. I tell the screener *before* the harps pass through "those are harmonicas coming through" and they often take a peek before they even pass through. they often call other screeners over for training purposes. on rare occasions (usually in other countries) they will ask me to play one. even rarer (like in Mumbai) they will do it themselves (and you don't complain too much since they have big ugly weapons). after they pass through the machine, I close the case and stick them back in my carry-on bag (like most other business travelers I avoid checking luggage at all costs).

Bill Hines

Winslow Yerxa wrote:
Rob -

I remember a few years before that hanging out with Toots backstage at the Concord Jazz Festival. Toots introduced me to Ray Brown, who was standing next to his bass case, which looked like a refrigerator. String bass players are known to either buy a seat on the plane for their instruments, or hire instruments locally when they travel. But Ray had it all aced with this monstrous case to protect his ax, and was enthusiastic in talking it up. Toots seemed very interested, so the case you saw may have been an upshot of that conversation.

Harmonica content: Who is willing to check their harps in as luggage to avoid the hassle of schlepping, explaining to baggage screeners, etc., and who insists on keeping their harps in their possession the entire time?

Winslow