Re: [Harp-L] traveling with instruments (was PRX  Piece  NEA Jazz Master Toots Thielemans)

And United Airlines breaks guitars

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

In a message dated 12/15/09 14:48:24 Eastern Standard Time, winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Rob -

I remember a few years before that hanging out with Toots backstage at the Concord Jazz Festival. Toots introduced me to Ray Brown, who was standing next to his bass case, which looked like a refrigerator. String bass players are known to either buy a seat on the plane for their instruments, or hire instruments locally when they travel. But Ray had it all aced with this monstrous case to protect his ax, and was enthusiastic in talking it up. Toots seemed very interested, so the case you saw may have been an upshot of that conversation.

Harmonica content: Who is willing to check their harps in as luggage to avoid the hassle of schlepping, explaining to baggage screeners, etc., and who insists on keeping their harps in their possession the entire time?

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa