Re: [Harp-L] spah.org Content

Hi Elizabeth,

When I went a few years ago I was in the same boat pretty much. I happened to be in town for business at one of the recent SPAHs so I got to check it out for a day and a half but that's all. I found it very easy to keep a low profile and just hit up the seminars and things I wanted to without getting sucked into "that stuff." Yes, for sure there is some chest-puffing-out and that BS that comes from just a few folks who for once in their lives are good at something and walk around working very hard to make sure people know it, waiting to be recognized, taking pot shots at peers or those "less fortunates" in this one small niche of life. And the hangers-on, the "entourage" types that revel in all the drama of big gatherings of "important people" like this. But most of the really good people were very humble, folks like Charlie Musselwhite are a stellar example. They go, have fun, are accepting of all, and never say a bad word about anyone despite their stature. You will encounter a lot of folks who are teaching, some of whom might come off as crass but that's not to be taken personally in most cases, the road and life of a musician isn't easy and some have just endured a lot and it's just their way. Have a little thick skin and tune that out, listen to what they are saying, and you can learn a lot. Or, just move on to someone who has a style more suitable to your own personality and learning style. But for the most part they are very supportive and friendly.

People are people and in any large gathering like this list or a conferences you will find some who aren't your favorites. That's just society. From my observations this was limited and it was easy for innocent bystanders to stay out of that. From a sociology point of view, I thought it was hilarious to watch when I encountered it (mostly by hanging out in the public areas and eavesdropping a little). So that was just entertainment value for me! harp-l or any computer list aren't representative anyway since most folks are a lot bolder when they are a thousand miles way, anonymous behind their computer screens. And don't forget, sometimes since we can't read faces and expressions on the computer, sometimes stuff typed in this list intended as humorous or whatever gets misinterpreted. At SPAH the kind of stuff you see sometimes hinted at here wasn't as evident, folks were pretty friendly or stuck to their own cliques, wherein gossip and trashing if any probably occurred privately.

It's a very very small thing, some of the personalities you can pick up on here, just people being people. It is in no way representative of the conference as a whole - I found it to be overwhelmingly informative, friendly and fun. I met cool interesting people like Smokey Joe Leone and too many to mention and learned a lot, got to check out cool gear and other styles outside of my blues/rock hole. I didn't participate in the jams because I wasn't confident enough at the time and didn't like the "big circle" format (not criticizing it, it's hard to find a format where 100 people of any instrument can participate!) but it was fun to listen to for a while. Particularly at Jason Ricci's annual harp blowout, I witnessed some incredible playing from a lot of people!

It's definitely worthwhile, you'll make good friends and learn a lot, there are lots of people of each gender, every age group, personality, and playing level.

Bill Hines

Elizabeth Hess wrote:
Bob,
I am not a complete beginner, but I've only been playing for about 18 months. Clearly, if I go to SPAH, I will expect to listen way more than play. But a squib about why a non-expert player would still enjoy the SPAH convention -- and what he or she ought to expect from the experience -- would be a welcome addition.

Elizabeth