Re: [Harp-L] Modified "Smo Joe" Tuning

On Dec 14, 2009, at 5:26 PM, Paul Cantin wrote:

Thanks Jo Jo, do you know offhand any tunes a I could use in the key of C or D? It does have a more pleasant sound just fooling around with them.
Your Brother in Harps,
Paul
On Dec 14, 2009, at 5:23 PM, joe leone wrote:

On Dec 14, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Paul Cantin wrote:

I just resurrected two harps from the junk heap by replacing a couple of reeds, and tuned the 5 draw up a half step
ala the J,M,and Smo Joe tuning. Didn't bother raising the 9 draw.

So, my question is, are these harps more apt to be played in 1st or 2nd position? What type of song would they be used for?
The two keys are F and G.
Paul

Dear Paul super hero. That tuning is really only good for 2nd position. I haven't really used it for other positions. (might work), but it ISN't very good for 1st. And if you do a lot of 'glisses' (I DO) into the high notes, you're fine on the blow notes, but the draw will sound sour up on reed 9.
Type of song? Pop, country, big band, standards, doo-wop, some rock

joey

Paul, here's a partial list of tunes I do, have done, OR use for bending practice. All are easily doable on the tuning.

After the Loving (which I have a video posted)
A fool such as I
As time goes by (rqs 2nd harp 4 steps UP for 5 notes)
Autumn leaves
After you're gone
A white sport coat
Time slips away
All in the game
Basin st.
Blue eyes crying
Blue skies (rqs 2nd harp 3 steps UP)
Ben
Beyond the sea (rqs 2nd harp 4 steps UP)
But not for me
Crazy
Chapel in the moonlight
Cheek to cheek (rqs 2nd harp 3 steps UP)
Cold cold heart
Cellitolindo
Londonderry aire (WHERE I ORIGINALLY GOT THE IDEA FOR THE TUNING)
Daddys home
Don't start chabging (rqs a C Bb Db or any combination with THAT spread)
End of the world
A fool such as I
Frosty the snowman (My tune from the 75 Ryman Christmas show as guest of Ernest Tubb)
Georgia on my mind
He stopped loving her today
Hello walls
Heartaches by the number
Hey there lonely girl
Honeysuckle rose
Harbor lights
I can't stop loving you
It's just a matter of time
In my solitude
Penthouse serenade
La la la la la means I love you
Love walked in
Let it be me (Buckeye 05)
Listen
Late in the evening
Mr Blue
Me & Bobbie McGhee
My foolish heart
Moonglow/Picnic
My funny valentine
On the road againPut another log on the fire
You don't have to call me darlin..darlin
Rainy night in Ga
South of the border