[Harp-L] BIG Mama Thornton, et al.

Thanks Harri for posting this youtube.  Please excuse me if I seem a bit contentious, but this seemed to reveal more about other players (i.e. on this list) than anything else.

These players on the youtube (Big Mama, Doc Ross, Walter H., the Hook and I think JB Lenoir?) were having the time of their life playing in Europe during the 60's where they actually got some respect - and good pay! - playing the blues as it was, as they were, as it was created, raw and real, soulful and instantaneous, not contrived, not polished, not aimed to wow people with amazing feats of technique but to touch their hearts with honest expression, and to move their feet!

Indeed if these true stars of the blues were all at the 2009 SPAH and played at the big midnight blues "jam" (actually showcase) circle, they might seem out-shined
 in technical terms compared to many of the SPAH hotshots, but it ain't technical acument that makes them great, it was their skill at putting true soul in the air that moved peoples hearts and feet.

So, with all due respect,  shame on all y'all who talk shite or condescend about the harp playin' of Big Mama and the Hook et al.

Anyone with enough "technique" can reproduce beauty, but those who actually create it don't really give a dam what you think, unless you relate to what they're doing.  And what they're doing is having fun expressing themselves in a true blues fashion.

And if you don't relate to it, you don't understand it, and if you don't understand it, how can you compare or criticize it?  Except of course on a technical level.

Hey!  I deeply respect technique, but not as much as being a good person who's fun to play with, to listen to and to dance to.

Dave "I got my bassman, my threads and patois, where do I buy soul?" Fertig

--- On Sun, 12/13/09, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx <harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What a blues lady she was. Excellent vocals and songs that
inspired existing and upcoming artists. What is often forgotten is that
she also played drums and harp. Also special in this clip is John Lee
Hooker playing harmonica.