[Harp-L] Re: Mama Thornton

"I could find 5 people at any spah that can beat these 5."
smo-joe

I guess I have a hard time when we start treating music like an
Olympic sport rather than an art. Is it really realistic to ask who is
the greatest blues harp player of the 20th century? There is
definitely good music and great music but I do not think there is ever
best music. Some mediocre musicians play great music. Because it is
enjoyable to listen to even though there is no Eddie Van Halen or Kim
Wilson in the group.
I will admit that John Lee did not appear to be really playing. His
moments there were not good music but the rest was enjoyable. Maybe we
could bring in 5 SPAH players who could have demonstrated more complex
techniques, but does that make it better music?  Does having a high
standard of musicianship really equate to having a high standard of
music? I have seen an Olympic swimmer swim up close and seen the most
beautiful butterfly stroke I have ever seen. That swimmer did not make
the team the next go around. But she was still a beautiful swimmer.

Derwood