Re: Re: [Harp-L] Genre hoping

I have a devil's advocate joke, that the idea of a musical genre is of most use to middle aged adolescent boys with borderline OCD so they know how to organise their music collections. I confess that I even tried doing that myself for a while when I switched over to having everything as mp3s and then got frustrated because i found that half of it was impossible to classify and I could never find anything.

Maybe audiences like genres so they know what to expect and venues and promoters like it because they know how to market it but should musicians ever be restricted? Surely what matters first and foremost is the creative imagination and where that takes someone.

Bill