Subject: [Harp-L] Genre hoping ??

Did you mean Genre hopping or hoping in your subject line?

As to missing Ben's point? Not at all. Most of us are intelligent  enough
to have understood. However, he used the wrong musician to make said  point.

I believe you expanded on his post to make it about 'any' musician
'automatically' being great in other genres. Ben didn't quite make that
point...the 'automatically' language was yours alone. Benoit singled out Robert,  to
which several of us responded.

The original poster - Jim Alciere, merely asked that Robert now play music
from the Neville Bros. and others. Many of us love RB's CD's which display
his abilities in other styles, so I gather Jim's suggestion was based on
the fact he already knew of Robert's proven abilities to play in other
genres,  not mere guesswork.

For my part I agreed that there are most definitely 'some' musicians who
certainly should not attempt other genres since they do not translate
well...but  what right does anyone (harmonica player or not) have to decide for  or
disparage any musician who feels pushed to expand his/her horizons into
different genres?

Yes, we've all heard lame attempts by people in over their heads musically
either rhythmically or with no sense of the style they're  attempting.
Their results are usually met with silence from fans,  translating into no sales
of a CD....which clues them in quite quickly to the  directions in which
they should not go.

But where is it written that a musician 'must' stay within  certain
confines? That's rather an absurd conceit...especially when so many have  proven
otherwise and broken down those boundaries successfully.

In the harmonica world Brendan Power comes to mind...playing Trad Irish,
Riverdance, gorgeous ballads, Pop, different styles of Jazz  (other genres
I've probably missed) and now even the most astonishing modern 'rock' along
with LDMiller's harmonica beat-boxing. I don't think there's anything
Brendan  couldn't achieve if he'd a mind to.

Robert's response story is about Toots much further along in life wishing
to play classical better than he believed he did. That's quite different.
There are so many people young enough to encompass more than one genre
within their lifetimes...who's to say they can't ...or won't?

And just to be clear: use of the word dilettante when it comes to  someone
like Robert ...or Toots for that matter, is not now and would  never be
'apt'.

Elizabeth

Message: 2