Re: [Harp-L] A most unusual musical experience

I am glad Brad got to experience this.  First off, although I have not
talked to the other musicians in the band concerning Brad's
performance, I have no fear sending him in as a sub.  Brad is a great
musician.

I have been working with Jimmy Turner, the deaf singer, viloinist,
guitarist, electric bassist and saxophonist for many years.  Not only
does he regularly guest at our open mic, he has hired me for multiple
full length gigs and we put out a CD together, under the group name
Air Seed.  I really cannot tell you how to get a copy of the CD, but
I've got one and it is wild.  I suggest contacting Ruta Maya in Austin
Texas, they can probably help track one down.

Jimmy also gifted my wedding anniversary dinner by showing up to play
violin at a fancy restaurant.  They had never heard anything like it
before.

Jimmy has been noted to repeat musical phrases a bandmember would play.

Sometimes the magic doesn't happen for me, but most of the time it is
very deep, the band channels the Ornette Coleman vibe.  Other times
the band will play a standard groove and he will solo wildly over it.
 Before each song he mimes (he does not know standard sign language)
directions and his main direction during the song is a hand symbol
that means "Change".

I have seen him clear out an audience and I have seen audiences transfixed.

Anyway, it is very special playing with him.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com