Subject: Re: [Harp-L] a summation

But Ben:

You're assuming he has no prior experience in those other genres....

Robert has long played blued diatonics...even done so on a SPAH stage.
Just because one's main focus is one particular genre should not preclude a
harmonica player from other styles, should it?

I think use of the word 'dilettante' is a quite unfortunate choice on a
list such as this which is primarily to promote the harmonica, not encapsulate
 us into neat little categories. For my part I play all sorts of styles and
 genres which appeal to me and won't be forced into limiting myself just
to one because somebody decides for the rest of us that's how he  thinks it's
supposed to be.

While your premise might have some truth for 'some' musicians,  it's most
likely because they're simply not talented enough to carry off  the sound
they're attempting to play...not because their main focus is  another genre.
Would you have given the same unsolicited advice quite so  freely to Miles
Davis or Bob Marley, had either decided to switch his main  musical focus to
Classical?

I had the privilege of attending Robert's seminar at the Grand  Canyon.  He
also celebrated a big birthday there with a special concert  'party',
afterwards, where he 'got down' with his band. It's as far removed  from his 'tie
and tails' onstage Philharmonic persona as you can imagine, and in  fact
they issued a CD called "Harmonica America" with guest star Phoebe  Snow.

One shouldn't ever jump to conclusions about musicians...something I've
learned just from being on harp-l.

Elizabeth

"Message: 14