[Harp-L] Stretch Harps: 13 Hole & Other Sizes

When I was selling custom harps 2000-2006 I had a line I called Stretch
Harps: diatonics that are longer than usual but with normal hole spacing. I
sold quite a few 13 holers; I called them my "Lucky 13's". It's a good size,
and I regularly use six keys myself on gigs.

To get over the issue of sharp edges at the front from sliced/joined
reedplates, I make them using moulded plastic combs such as on the Hohner
Special 20, Suzuki Harpmaster/Bluesmaster, Lee Oskar etc. I favour the
Suzuki combs/reedplates myself, because the channels are deep enough to
easily allow half-valving.

I made other sizes too. For a long time in the 1980s I used exclusively 11
hole harps made from Special 20s. I recorded a whole album of
country/blugrass music in 1984 with them (using Nashville backing tracks).
Check out 'Rocky Top' (the 16th track on the steaming music player on my
website) to hear one of these harps in action.

12 and 14 hole sizes are nice too. There is a photo on this page of two of
mine. They have Suzuki combs/reedplates but Hohner covers:

http://www.brendan-power.com/Power%20Harps.htm

Stretch Harps are quite time-consuming to make, but well worth the effort if
you want something unique you can't get from any of the manufacturers.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic