[Harp-L] Reversed slide Chromatics

Like Winslow I have certain inhibitions about trying chromatics that go down
when I hit the button instead of up. I figure my chip might not welcome the
change.
However for Irish traditional music on the chromatic, (arising from a
technique pioneered by the late Eddie Clarke who played a C Chromatic with
the button permanently depressed - except when he released it), the slide
down option has found favour with serious Irish Trad exponents like Mick
Kinsella and Brendan Power.  The characteristic rolls and triplets
associated with Irish Dance Tunes seem to be considered more appropriate
going down instead of up.
The favoured instrument for this technique is G/F#, but Rick Epping
speculated a few years ago that a C/B instrument might facilitate playing
the chromatic in the late Paddy O'Brien's style. Paddy O'Brien was a two row
accordeon player who caused a major change in direction of Irish accordeon
technique when he found ways to exploit the possibilities of the B/C box.
Beannachtaí
Aongus Mac Cana