[Harp-L] Does this happen?

Saturday night. Two well known Chicago performers play with a local band. There's great expectation to see them.
The house was packed, the show starts late, but we are all waiting to see them performing. After all, it's genuine Chicago blues. Don't complain.
After five songs, one of the performers (the harmonica player) calls the musicians that play the same instrument he plays to join him. A bunch of twenty or more jump onto the stage and start a jam session that lasted... well, I don't know how long. I went home.

Is this usual in the venues you see in your town? I mean, when a musician is announced to play, not to give classes or calling for jams.

Fernando Toral
Buenos Aires, Argentina