Subject: [Harp-L] Reed Slot Tolerance

Bob:  Far as I know, those who use the little metal  pieces removed from
those magnetic security strips ...were using them  as shims to support the
reeds while working on them (so they don't bend down  into the slot or lose
their natural shape)...not specifically to 'debur' the  sides of the reed slot.

 At least that was my understanding from those writing about the  practice
on Slidemeister...if memory serves the first person who told me about  them
was SmoJoe, but for all I know they're now multi-purpose.  Great  little
tools to find and use..and free!  Previously, people used to talk  about the
use of copper pennies to debur or work on the edges of reed  slots...nothing
high-tech there either.

..I guess I assumed Bill was using the metal strips as reed support
shims...he did have a few in his kit at GSHC (spent a lot of time working on my
Super 64 there....very kind of him).  I never thought of using them as
'deburrers'.

Elizabeth

"Message: 12
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 12:50:12 -0500
From: Robert  Coble <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp-L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I know I have seen  several references to using a 0.001" shim to run down
the sides of a reed to  make sure there are no burrs on the edge and also
that the reed is seated in the  middle of the slot.

Would this not imply that the normal  clearance/tolerance between reed edge
and reedplate edge is 0.001"? If so, then  the manufacturing tolerance
obviously is not impossible to obtain with  hobbyist-level tools, which have at
least that capability (on paper, if not in  fact). If the tolerance is
smaller, then wouldn't using a 0.001" shim cause some  sort of misalignment or
deformation?

My tool of choice for deburring the  edges of reeds in the slot is to use
one of those little magnetic security  strips. I owe my introduction to that
tool source to Mr. Bill Price, who is  always a joy to be around at the VA
Harmonica Fest, regardless of whether he's  playing some instrument (he's
multi-instrument talented) or working on making a  harmonica work better.

Help, please,
Crazy  Bob