[Harp-L] Reed Slot Tolerance

I know I have seen several references to using a 0.001" shim to run down the sides of a reed to make sure there are no burrs on the edge and also that the reed is seated in the middle of the slot.

Would this not imply that the normal clearance/tolerance between reed edge and reedplate edge is 0.001"? If so, then the manufacturing tolerance obviously is not impossible to obtain with hobbyist-level tools, which have at least that capability (on paper, if not in fact). If the tolerance is smaller, then wouldn't using a 0.001" shim cause some sort of misalignment or deformation?

My tool of choice for deburring the edges of reeds in the slot is to use one of those little magnetic security strips. I owe my introduction to that tool source to Mr. Bill Price, who is always a joy to be around at the VA Harmonica Fest, regardless of whether he's playing some instrument (he's multi-instrument talented) or working on making a harmonica work better.

Help, please,
Crazy Bob
Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=xbox+games&scope=cashback&form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_Shopping_Giftsforthem_cashback_1x1