[Harp-L] Re: USA / Russia

Hi Rick,

Nice to notice that somebody interested in details know what comes from:) I myself come from the country used to be called USSR, but in reality I live in Ukraine - former Republic - where some respected electronics were produced. Not the case anymore though, but anyway one would get crazy if he/she visits the radio flee market here where it is possible to buy all sorts of fancy stuff for petty cash.

Rick, I've read your comments on your blog and I liked the way you approach the harp-related stuff. I wonder if you ever had a chance to try Kendrick harp amps:
http://kendrick-amplifiers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KOS&Category_Code=0105

Thanks,

Alex

Help save paper! Do you really need to print this email?

>>> Rick Davis <bluesharpamps@xxxxxxxxx> 29/11/2009 21:04 >>>
Sonny, I admire your enthusiasm about this, but why go after Russia?  Soviet
Bloc countries produced very fine electronics.  In fact, your excellent amps
use Electro Harmonix tubes made in former Soviet states.

There was no "country" of Russia in the 60's, it was a part of the Soviet
Union and it certainly was not "poor," especially the military for whom the
NOS paper in oil caps were made.

The Sprague Vitamin Q caps are clearly good products, but a quick Google
search will prove to you that NOS Soviet K40Y military grade caps are highly
respected for their tone as well.  I've personally tested them against
several other kinds of capacitors (including the Spragues) and found them to
be excellent.  Tons of musicians and audiophiles agree with me.

NOS Vitamin Q caps are available on the Internet for about $12 each.  The
best NOS Soviet K40Y caps go for much less.  I would encourage any amp
tinkerer to order these caps and try them.   I have an article in the Blues
Harp Amps blog on this very topic.

Sonny, your amps sound wonderful.  Part of that tone is the good caps you
use.  The NOS Soviet paper in oil caps are also famous for their tone.  They
are well-made, economical, and  widely available.  They are a very good
option for a lower-priced amp, but perhaps not right for your elite line of
amps.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog