Re: [Harp-L] New Richard Hunter RP250/350 patch set coming

Tony Eyers wrote:
>As a customer of Richard's patches, I can vouch for their value. $25
>saves an awful lot of fiddling around. Best left to those who like doing
>this (Richard for example...)
>
>I'm running his current patches through an RP100 with an Audix Fireball
>V. They work fine. You should use an impedance converter with the Audix
>mic. I'm thinking of getting an RP350.
>
>A question for Richard: most of the time I want a high quality clean
>preamp sound, with clean delay (I get this with an ART tube preamp and
>an old Ibanez Digital delay pedal). However I would like the occasional
>classic Chicago sound, as delivered in many flavours by the patches. The
>ideal would be one box which does everything (e.g. the RP350). I don't
>like carrying a lot of gear, even less setting it up.
>
>So. Is there an RP350 patch which gives a high quality clean preamp
>sound, with clean delay?

Thanks for the endorsement Tony, much appreciated from a player of your caliber.

The RP350 contains a lot of great amp models, which is one reason I like it so much.  There are at least 3 models in the RP350 that might do the job for you:
- the Digitech Clean
- the Direct box model
- the GS2101 Clean Tube
All of these have their own particular sound, and I'm developing patches for all of them.  My favorite is the GS2101, which when used with a low gain setting produces a beautiful, smooth tone.  That model isn't included in the RP150 or 250, though the other two are.

You might find that you get good results from the RP100 with either the Clean1 or Clean2 amps.  Keep the GAIN low, and see how you like it.

The RP350 offers a half dozen delays, and they also have their own characters.  The digital delay is great for clean sounds, especially when the ducker is used with it.

Besides the gain settings, the secret sauce is in the EQ, which I set up carefully for each microphone model I support.  It's kind of tricky, because Digitech's EQ is not straightforward in terms of the bands that low, mid, and high affect.   I am spending a lot of time in front of a frequency analyzer lately, with my ears as the final factor in the EQ decisions.

But hey, that's why I charge $25 for the set.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter